The H-E-B Clinical Skills Center is a modern facility designed for the teaching and assessment of clinical skills throughout the healthcare education continuum. Click here for a floor plan.
- Twenty (20) clinical exam rooms and four (4) larger simulation rooms are equipped to utilize standardized patient (SP), manikin, and task trainer teaching and assessment.
- Two (2) student classrooms are available for briefing and debriefing students.
- The SPs gather in a classroom for meetings and training where they have their own restrooms, lockers, and other amenities.
- Overhead paging linked to the digital audio/video system allows for precise timing of examinations as well as functioning as the recording cue for the exam room cameras.
The design of the H-E-B Clinical Skills Center is highly specialized in that there are two parallel corridors:
- Outer corridor for student access to the exam rooms.
- Inner corridor for SPs to access exam rooms and where faculty can view the student/SP interaction via a one-way mirror.
The H-E-B Clinical Skills Center utilizes various technology and equipment to capture student activities:
- Student / SP encounters are digitally recorded with a state-of-the-art Web based system.
- Two pan-tilt-zoom cameras in the exam rooms allow for optimal recording.
- A software program designed specifically with clinical skills testing in mind.
- Both the SP and the student are provided with computers to fill out questionnaires tailored to evaluate the student's familiarity with the material being assessed.
- Remote video viewing is available to students and faculty when requested and appropriate
- All cameras paging functions are managed from a central control room.
- The digital audio / video system, paging system, and clinical skills testing software were built by Education Management Solutions.