Application Process and Deadlines
- Apply to the University of Texas at San Antonio at applytexas.org (applicants must indicate Biology as their intended major).
FAME applicants must be accepted to UTSA no later than December 1st.
- Submit the completed FAME application, together with your supporting materials (see below) no later than December 1st. (This is a received by deadline)
- Submission of applications prior to November 1st is highly recommended.
- Application package must include the following supporting materials:
- FAME Application with Essay
- Resume (one page) with photograph of the applicant (photo size 1x1 inch)
- Two Letters of Recommendation, one high school teacher and one non-relative.
Application Process and Deadlines
This application can only be submitted as an e-mail attachment (PDF format) to FAME@utsa.edu.
The FAME application will only be accepted electronically. When submitting the FAME application
via email, the subject line must read:
Subject: FAME Application- Student's First and Last Name
The application email should contain the following two attachments:
- FAME application with Essay in PDF format
- Resume (one page) with photograph of the applicant (photo size 1 x 1 inch ) in PDF format
Only submit the FAME application once all two items are ready for submission.
Please type a resume in PDF format and submit it as a separate file. The resume should include the following:
- Extracurricular Activities
- Community or Volunteer Service
- Talents, Awards, Honors
- Employment, Internships, Summer Activities
- Medically-relevant Activities
- Photograph of the applicant
Applicant's full name and myUTSA ID number must appear at the top of the page of the resume. The resume must NOT exceed one page. Please provide enough information to show that you are a qualified applicant, so be clear and concise. Applicants must attach a profile photograph (1x1 inch) on the resume. The photograph should be from the shoulders and up. Please no selfies. Please click here to view sample photo resume.
Letters of Recommendation
Applicants must submit two Letters of Recommendation, one from a high school teacher and one from a nonrelative. The recommendation letter should be scanned and then emailed directly to the FAME Coordinator, Tracy Lopez at FAME@utsa.edu to ensure they are received by December 1st. The email must come directly from the writer of the recommendation letter. The letter must be on official letterhead and with the writer's signature. An unsigned letter will not be accepted.
When the writer submits the scanned Letter of Recommendation via email, the subject line must read:
Subject: Letter of Recommendation —Student's First and Last Name
Also note that the letter from your high school teacher must be from a teacher that you had while in high school and received a grade from. Applicants please remind the writer to sign the letter of recommendation. It will be the applicant's responsibility to ensure that the Letters of Recommendation have been received by December 1st deadline.
The FAME Application is now open.
Please note that December 1st is a received by deadline and NOT a postmarked deadline. Please only submit what is required to complete the FAME Application and nothing more. Any unsolicited items submitted (ex. research papers, extra letters of recommendation, extra pages for essay and/ or resume) will NOT be evaluated. Any items received via email after December 1st will not be accepted. Please keep in mind that the Office of Admissions can take between 4-8 weeks to process your ApplyTexas application. Therefore, applicants are strongly encouraged to submit all application materials before November 1st.
- File a FAFSA at fafsa.ed.gov beginning January 1st and no later than March 15th, to ensure the best possible aid package. Optional
- Incoming freshmen can apply for General Scholarships by February 15th at applytexas.org.Optional
- Incoming freshmen can apply to the Terry Scholarship by February 1st at applytexas.org. Optional
- Incoming freshmen can apply to the Honors College Scholarship by February 15th at honors.utsa.edu. Optional
- Incoming freshmen can apply to the College of Science Scholarships by February 15th at utsa.edu/sciences/scholarships. Optional
- Selected applicants will be invited to participate in an interview with members of the FAME admissions committee. Interviews will be held in late January/early February.
- Admissions committee decisions regarding acceptance to the FAME program will be mailed in the first week of March.