UTHSCSA Commitment to Diversity
- UTHSCSA Office of Strategic Planning and Accountability
SOM Diversity Strategic Plan
- UTHSCSA & SOM Faculty Governance & Accountability
School Endorsement of AAMC Group
on Diversity and Inclusion Definitions
To complement our school-specific definition of diversity, we also ask our faculty and staff to recognize the operable and formal definitions of diversity, inclusion and health equity established through extensive collaboration and deliberation of the Association of American Medical Colleges' Group on Diversity and Inclusion: (https://www.aamc.org/members/gdi/)
- Diversity as a core value embodies inclusiveness, mutual respect, and multiple perspectives and serves as a catalyst for change resulting in health equity. In this context, we are mindful of all aspects of human differences such as socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, language, nationality, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, geography, disability and age.
- Inclusion is a core element for successfully achieving diversity. Inclusion is achieved by nurturing the climate and culture of the institution through professional development, education, policy, and practice. The objective is creating a climate that fosters belonging, respect, and value for all and encourages engagement and connection throughout the institution and community.
- Health equity is when everyone has the opportunity to attain their full health potential and no one is disadvantaged from achieving this potential because of their social position or other socially determined circumstance.